There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding cosmetic dentistry, and they usually stem from the word cosmetic. People often refer to makeup products as cosmetics, minor scratches on cars as cosmetic damage, and a facelift as cosmetic surgery. It’s easy to write off anything with the word cosmetic attached as unnecessary, vain, or even frivolous. But in the case of cosmetic dentistry, this simply isn’t true. This type of dentistry can enhance your quality of life and give you the confidence you need to introduce yourself to new people, nail a job interview, or simply laugh without covering your mouth. If you’re struggling with insecurities about your smile, quit wondering whether or not you’re worth the investment. You deserve a set of teeth you can show off with pride.
Cosmetic Dentistry Could Change Your Life
Quality of Life
According to a study published in the International Journal of Dentistry, dental implants can increase your quality of life. In this study, 237 women with osteoporosis who had lost one or more adjacent teeth received one of the following tooth replacement options:
- 64 received dental implants
- 47 received removable dentures
- 60 received dental bridges
- 66 received no replacement
Then, each of these women filled out a survey about their quality of life, which included questions about their emotional state, health, work, and sex life. Out of the women surveyed, the group that received dental implants reported the highest quality of life. The women who received dental bridges had the second-highest levels of satisfaction. Those who received dentures reported lower levels of satisfaction than those with implants or bridges, but higher than those with no replacement. The women who did not receive a replacement reported the lowest quality of life, especially in regard to their emotional state.
Sometimes it can be hard to silence that inner critic. It can be easy to pay too much attention to insecurities, and misshapen, stained, cracked, or missing teeth can only add fuel to negative self-talk. Stop giving your teeth the power to control your life, and take matters into your own hands by asking your dentist about cosmetic dentistry.
In Scientist Amy Cuddy’s TED Talk, she discusses how body language can affect self-confidence. According to Cuddy, if you avoid smiling or standing up straight, it can actually negatively impact how you feel about yourself by affecting the chemical reactions in your body. Cosmetic dentistry can transform the way you feel about your smile: Once you have a great smile, you’ll want to show it off, which will enhance your self-confidence.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
There isn’t just one approach to improving your smile. Most dentists will work with you to find the best solution for your teeth. Here are a few examples of the different types of cosmetic procedures that your dentist might recommend:
- Teeth Whitening: Your dentist can use a variety of professional tools to safely and effectively whiten the external surface of your teeth.
- Bonding: If you have a chipped or cracked tooth, your dentist might apply a putty-like, tooth-colored resin to the surface of the tooth. He or she will sculpt the material into the right shape, and use a laser or high-intensity light to harden it.
- Crowns: If you have a worn or damaged tooth, your dentist can apply a natural-looking crown to protect your tooth.
- Veneers: These devices are very common in the cosmetic dentistry field. Veneers are custom-made shells that dentists bond to the surfaces of teeth to cover chipped, stained, worn, misaligned, or irregularly shaped teeth.
- Invisalign: If you want a straighter smile, Invisalign can provide you with the same benefits as braces, but they are a much more discreet option.
Teeth whitening, bonding, dental crowns, veneers, and Invisalign can help you smile with confidence if you have a damaged or missing tooth. Cosmetic dentistry isn’t a vain extravagance, so don’t underestimate the value it can bring to your life.
If you are interested in enhancing your smile with cosmetic dentistry, and you live near Springfield, Missouri, contact Duff Family Dental to schedule an appointment. We offer a full line of general, cosmetic, pediatric, and restorative dentistry services. We are always happy to see a patient return to us after their procedure wearing a big smile that we’ve never seen before. In fact, several of our patients have described receiving cosmetic dentistry as “life-changing.” Call us at 417-501-8601 or contact us online today!